The Texas Medical Center (TMC) Library is a major research library serving Texas Medical Center researchers, clinicians and students, including two major medical schools and over 20 member institutions. The Library is also the Regional Medical Library for the National Network of Libraries of Medicine South Central Region, with responsibility for providing health information to health professionals and consumers in the five state region of Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas.
The TMC Library seeks a full-time Circulation Assistant. This individual provides circulation services to Library clients and provides assistance to other functions within the Library.
- Answers client questions (e.g., information resources, item locations, basic database searches) and refers in-depth reference questions to reference librarians
- Checks out and re-shelves audio visual items
- Checks out materials in preparation for courier pick up
- Collects Library fees (e.g., fines, late charges, etc.)
- Completes individual and batch membership registrations
- Continually increases technical competency of self and others through education and research within their field
- Encodes copy, library and access cards
- Sorts, arranges, and Shelve items
- Occasional photocopying of articles
- Prepares monthly photocopy and print report
- Greets clients and answers phone and provides assistance or forwards call to appropriate staff member as necessary
- Prepares and sends out notices for past due materials, fines, renewals, books on hold, etc.
- Prepares Library and circulation desk for daily operation (e.g., opens doors, activates all public computers, logs on to circulation system, etc.)
- Enters data into the EasyLobby and P2000 access control system
- Provides assistance and support to librarians and staff when needed
- Provides book check-in and check-out services for both the TMC Library and HCPL
- Responds to client questions and complaints providing resolutions in compliance with Library policies
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Some knowledge of library clerical procedures and practices
- Knowledge of clerical practices
- Skills in typing and the ability to do data entry using a computer terminal
- Understand and follow written and oral instructions
- Attention to detail
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, associates and the general public
- Other job related duties as assigned
Education and experience – High school and some college, technical or business school; experience in a Library or other institution with public contact
The TMC Library is an equal employment opportunity institution, providing access to employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, gender, religion, veteran’s status, or disability.
Schedule includes a Fulltime schedule, Monday through Friday 6:30am-3:30pm, 40 hours per week.
Salary Range : $9-$12
Email or fax resume or application to: