The Head of Information Technology /Information Systems provides vision, leadership, and execution of information technology initiatives. The Head of IT/IS directs the planning and implementation of enterprise IT systems in support of delivering quality library services. This position is responsible for all aspects of the library’s information technology and systems, including telecommunications, and for direct supervision of staff and consultants assigned to this area.
- As a member of the senior management team, participates in strategic and operational governance processes of the business organization. Library.
- Foster innovation, prioritize current and future IT initiatives, and coordinates their evaluation, deployment and management of current and future IT systems across the organization with the strategic and tactical goal of helping to drive positive business outcomes.
- Establish IT departmental goals, objectives and operating procedures.
- Coordinate and facilitate consultation with stakeholders to define business and systems requirements for new technology implementations.
- Develop and cultivate strategic relationships between internal IT resources and external entities.
- Keep current with trends and issues in the IT industry, including current technologies and prices, particularly as they relate to delivery of library services. Advises, counsels and educates management on their competitive or financial impact.
- Create and maintain an appropriate IT organizational structure that supports the needs of the business Library, including managing fixed vs. variable costs, insourcing vs. outsourcing, etc.
- Generate, track and control the IT annual operating and capital budgets.
- Develop business case justifications, performance metrics (Key Performance Indicators – KPI, Service Level Objectives – SLO), risk analyses and cost/benefit analyses for IT spending and initiatives.
- Review hardware and software acquisition and maintenance contracts and pursue master agreements to capitalize on economies of scale.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or business administration required. Master’s degree preferred.
- At least 5 years’ experience managing and/or directing an IT operation in a multi-site organization.
- Superior analytical, evaluative and problem-solving abilities.
- Exceptional service orientation, both internal and external
- Strong negotiating skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, technical and public communication skills, oral and written: presentation skills, ability to effectively lead and participate in group sessions, ability to communicate complete subjects clearly
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills in the context of a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Demonstrated experience in strategic planning and execution, including diligence, acquisition and acquisition integration.
- Experience with systems design and development process, from business requirements analysis through to day-to-day management.
- Technical knowledge of business intelligence tools and demonstrated ability to apply BI tools to solve business problems.
- Technical knowledge of hardware platforms, enterprise software applications, network administration and outsourced systems.
- ITIL certifications preferred; familiarity with ITIL methodology required.
- Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) preferred; working knowledge of MS Office required
- Cisco certifications preferred
- Familiarity with UNIX/Linux, and associated technologies are required
- Working knowledge and/or training in Project Management and other management disciplines preferred