Institutional Collection No. 022
TABLE OF CONTENTS
|Repository:||John P. McGovern Historical Collections and Research Center, Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library|
|Creator:||Memorial Hospital System|
|Title:||Memorial Hospital System records|
|Quantity:||15.75 cubic feet (23 boxes)|
|Abstract:||The Memorial Hospital System records (IC 022) contains photographs, scrapbooks, M news, Memorial Foundation News in Partnership, Margaret Ophelia Neal trust, WWI photo album, student nurses hospital scenes, Caducean (some water damage to paper), publications, telephone directory, news clippings, press releases, histories, hospital rules, donors, catalogs, handbooks, poster of “This Magic Moment”, and other papers and printed materials. The photographs in this collection document the history of the Memorial Hospital System from its beginnings, especially the history of the nursing school, dating back to 1907. Originally named the Baptist Sanitarium, Memorial Hospital opened in 1907 in a two-story, wood-framed building with 17 beds and 8 trained nurses on staff. It chartered the first nursing school in Houston, graduating its first class in 1909. Memorial developed the hospital satellite system, and in the 1960s, it open three community hospitals in the Southwest (1962), Southeast (1963), and Northwest (1966). In 1997 Memorial Hospital merged with Hermann Hospital, becoming Memorial Hermann Healthcare System. The collection equals 15.75 cubic feet and consists 23 boxes, including 9 oversize. The materials are in good condition.|
Founded on September 1, 1907 as the Baptist Sanitarium, Memorial Hospital began as a two-story, wood-framed building at the end of the trolley line on Lamar and Smith. It had 17 beds and eight trained nurses on staff. It was the second general hospital established in Houston after St. Joseph Hospital which opened in 1887. It was also the second Baptist-supported hospital in the United States. The other was the Missouri Baptist Sanitarium in St. Louis.
In 1904 the only general hospital in Houston, St. Joseph Hospital, had 125 beds. The lack of hospital care available in Houston at the time became a discussion between two Baptist ministers, Dr. L. T. Mays (South Main Baptist Church) and Rev. D. R. Pevoto (Clark Avenue Baptist Church). They wanted to open a new hospital to serve the people of Houston regardless of race, religion, or wealth. It remained only an idea for years as discussions began to involve more people in the community, like Dr. J. L. Gross (pastor of First Baptist Church of Houston), Dr. George Truett, and George Hermann. Mrs. Charles Stewart, member of First Baptist Church of Houston gave $1,000 as a down payment to purchase the two-story Ida J. Rudisill Sanitarium for $18,000. The building had only been in use for two years since 1905. Mrs. Rudisill stayed on serving as director of nursing until about 1912. In 1910, the Baptist Convention of Texas was officially affiliated with the hospital. Pevoto, who managed the hospital until 1917, wrote, “ In those days a hospital was looked upon with apprehension as just a place where one went to die. We decided to change all that.”
Memorial Hospital expanded “piecemeal” one building or building addition at a time, adding more beds as they could. The original Rudisill Building stood for over 50 years. Becoming the nurses quarters and even moved across the street at one point. Below is a brief timeline for the early expansion of Memorial Hospital:
Through its history, Memorial Hospital was a leader in health care in Houston, establishing many “firsts”:
In the 1940s, Memorial opted not to move into the Texas Medical Center, remaining in downtown where it was closer to patients. With the same, consistent mission to provide the communities of Houston with excellent health care at a reasonable cost, Memorial developed the hospital satellite system. In the 1960s, it open three community hospitals in the Southwest (1962), Southeast (1963), and Northwest (1966). The new system allowed regional hospitals to serve the community around them while sharing services, resources, and costs with other hospitals in the Memorial Healthcare System. As W. Wilson Turner, administrator of Memorial Hospital 1958-1981 remarked, “Memorial was a pioneer of multiple health care units under one administrative management in the country.”
In 1971, in order to accept federal and community funds, Memorial Hospital broke ties with the Baptist General Convention of Texas. After 70 years, Memorial closed its downtown hospital in 1977 and moved to the Southwest location on the Southwest Freeway at Beechnut. Everything was moved patients, equipment, supplies, furnishings, and even the Bowles Chapel, which was disassembled and rebuilt piece by piece.
In 1997 Memorial Hospital merged with Hermann Hospital, becoming Memorial Hermann Healthcare System. Today, it is one of the largest non-for-profit healthcare system in Texas with roughly 19 hospitals and several specialty service points throughout the Greater Houston area.
Other notable individuals in the collection:
Lillian Irene Wilson Burnett Jolly (Lillie Jolly) was born near Louisville, Kentucky in 1877. She graduated from the School of Nursing at the Kentucky School of Medicine in 1907. Before attending school she worked in mental health institutions. In 1908, she moved to Houston to be a surgeon’s assistant and director of nurses at the Baptist Sanitarium (later Memorial Hospital). Lillie Jolly was director of the Hospital Training School for Nurses for over 30 years, 1908-1947. In 1945 the school was renamed in her honor, the Lillie Jolly School of Nursing. From 1917 to 1920, she served as superintendent, leading the hospital for two years before re-focusing her attention to the nurses and the nursing school. Robert Jolly became superintendent and served in the position from 1920-1945. Robert and Lillie Jolly were married at the stroke of midnight on New Year’s Day 1924. She retired in 1947. Lillie Jolly died in 1953.
Robert Jolly was born in Cave City, Kentucky in 1885. He was a Baptist minister. He became the Business Manager for the Baptist Sanitarium in 1919. In 1920 he took over as superintendent for the hospital, a position he held until his retirement in 1945. As superintendent, Jolly oversaw the development and growth of the hospital for 24 years. Jolly was a great fundraiser and worked to make Memorial Hospital one of the leaders in health care. In 1922, the American College of Surgeons awarded Memorial its hospital certification. Jolly also represented the hospital in national organizations, taking leadership positions in the Texas Hospital Association, American Protestant Hospital Association, American Hospital Association, and American College of Hospital Administrators. Robert Jolly died in 1952.
Col. J. W. Neal and wife, Elizabeth Mitchell Neal, founders of the Cheek-Neal Coffee Co. that made Maxell House famous, were staunch Baptists who supported Memorial Hospital. He became a trustee in the 1920s, and they created two trust funds at the hospital in memory of their children Margaret Ophelia Neal for sick and disabled children and James Robert Neal for X-ray treatment of cancer. In 1944 Mrs. Neal gave Memorial Hospital the block used for their Nurses’ Professional Building in Downtown Houston. Hugh Roy Cullen provided the funds to construct the building, donating $2 million. The building was completed in 1948.
Scope and Contents Note
The Memorial Hospital System records (IC 022) contains photographs, scrapbooks, M news, Memorial Foundation News in Partnership, Margaret Ophelia Neal trust, WWI photo album, student nurses hospital scenes, Caducean (some water damage to paper), publications, telephone directory, news clippings, press releases, histories, hospital rules, donors, catalogs, handbooks, poster of “This Magic Moment”, and other papers and printed materials. The photographs in this collection document the history of the Memorial Hospital System from its beginnings, especially the history of the nursing school, dating back to 1907. The collection equals 15.75 cubic feet and consists 23 boxes, including 9 oversize. The materials are in good condition.
Unrestricted. Material is open for research.
Permission to publish from this material must be facilitated through the repository, McGovern Historical Center.
IC 103 Memorial Hospital Photograph Collection; IC 098 TMC Library Historical Photograph Collection; IC 086 Hermann Hospital Archives records; MS 181 Leta Denham, RN papers
Memorial Hospital System records; IC 022; John P. McGovern Historical Collections and Research Center, Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library.
Please cite the box and folder numbers where appropriate.
Memorial Hospital Sysytem donate some materials in 1979 along with a colletion of photographs. Before the merger with Hermann Hospital in 1997, there were some accruals to the collections. Newletters were also collected and stored withthe collection.
Materials have not been processed or arraged in a meaningful way. This finding aid reflects a box-level inventory. Some rehousing and preservation work has been done, especially for scrapbooks and oversize materials.
Oversize and loose materials were rehoused into document boxes and oversize boxes. Oversize materials were relocated to Oversize section in archive. New box numbers are reflected in the inventory below. New labels were placed on all boxes. All boxes after Box 6 were assigned new numbers, which is reflected in this revised inventory. This inventory replaces previous inventories.
An unbound scrapbook (1910s-1970s), photographs (1909-1970s), and documents were originally stored in a large oversize box. Items were sorted by size (document-size or oversize) and type (paper or photograph). Additionally, photographs were sorted by general content – People and Buildings. Scrapbook items have been housed in Box 9 and OV 522. Photographs and documents were placed in Box 8 and OV 522.
The original order of the unbound scrapbook pages was unknown, so the pages were first arranged in chronological order based on visual content. Pages were removed from deteriorating plastic sleeves, and the photographic and paper items carefully removed from the pages. Removed items were placed in acid-free folders for each page with a sheet of paper to divide the front and back of the scrapbook page. The folders were numbered based on the previously established chronological order. Photographs that were displaced from the scrapbook before processing were placed in the last folder. There were some items that could not be removed from the page. Where possible, the page was cut around the items and placed in the folder. Pages that could not be cut were placed in an oversized folder and housed in an oversize box. A separation sheet was placed in the document box folder with a reduced-size photocopy of the page and with the original item in the oversize box. Folder numbers are indicated on original pages in oversize box as well. Three scrapbook pages were placed in oversize because there was information regarding missing photographs. During full processing of the collection, the photographs could be traced back to other photographs found in the collection. A separation sheet is also placed in the folder with more information. It is recommended to discard these pages after processing the collection. All available information associated with items, such as names, dates, and places, were recorded on the back of the item. When able, paper captions were preserved and placed in folder with other page items. It is recommended that the photographs be housed in preserver sleeves. One scrapbook page was a collage of photographs covering the front and back of the page. Photographs range from pea-size to full-size. Without the original plastic covering the photographs were falling off, so all items were removed from the page and placed in the folder (9-35). The smaller pieces have been placed in a polyethylene bags. Unfortunately, the arrangement of the items was not maintained. It is recommended that the small pieces be rehoused in 35mm slide preservers to improve research access.
Scrapbook 1931-1946 was originally housed in a large 5” oversize box. It was divided into two parts and rehoused into two 3” oversize boxes (OV 518 – OV 519). Scrapbook pages grouped in oversize folders and labeled with date ranges.
No accurals are expected for this collection.
Detailed Description of the Collection
|Series I: Memorial Hospital System records, 1907-1999|
|This series contains photographs, scrapbooks, yearbooks, annual reports, newsletters, and other manuscripts that document the history, staff, and facilities of Memorial Hospital.|
|15||Hospital News, 1928-1953|
|16||Good Samaritan, 1930s|
|17||Heart Throbs, 1944-1945|
|22||For Your General Health, 1979-1983|
|23||Caring, circa 1980-1981|
|24||Annual reports, 1979-1982|
|2||25||Births book (looks like some kind of commemorative book), 1957-1966|
|26||Class schedules, 1979-1980|
|27||“Medical Records & Annals”, March 1968, 1968, 03|
|28||Miscellaneous publications, circa 1979|
|29||Auxiliary – Volunteer handbook, undated|
|30||Catalog circa 1968, circa 1968|
|31||Publications from other hospitals, 1956|
|32||Nutrix nursing yearbook, 1919|
|33||“Recruiting, Admitting, and Graduating nurses” By Lillie Jolly, nursing materials, circa 1944|
|34||Nursing diploma, 1933|
|35||Dedication of Cullen Nurses’ Building, 1949, acknowledgments, 1949|
|36||Bulletin & rules, 1911-1923|
|37||Annual report, April 1937-March 1938, 1938|
|39||Poetry, sheet music, 1930s|
|40||Committee report, 1910|
|41||“Conserving our Investments”, looks like an annual report on the solvency of Baptist-run hospitals, circa 1927|
|42||“Baptist Standard”, 1950s|
|43||“Baptist Review”, circa 1960|
|44||“Baptist Progress”, circa 1954|
|47||John Gant Dudley, undated|
|49||Peveto- History of founding, undated|
|50||Early history, undated|
|52||Peveto autobiography, undated|
|4||53||Southern X-Ray Engineering Company brochure, 1942|
|54||Anesthesiology letter, 1950s|
|55||Donors (Xeroxes of clippings), 1940s|
|56||Board of directors, 1921|
|57||Building progress, 1941-1956|
|58||“Houston” magazine, April 20-25, 1939|
|59||Notice to employees re: Christmas holidays, 1939|
|60||Bylaws, etc. Drafts? , circa 1907-1913|
|62||Miscellaneous (Staff lists, etc.), 1940s-1950s|
|63||Bowles Chapel, undated|
|5||64-77||Public relations department, newspaper clippings, 1964-1966|
|6||Phone directory, microfilm reels of clippings[?], news and press releases, 1967-1980|
|7||Scrapbook 1934-1935; Family album circa 1905, 1905-1935|
|8||WWI nurses’ album, 1918; Other Historical Photographs, 1909-1970s; Brochure, Baptist Hospital and School of Nursing, 1927, 1909-1970s|
|9||Scrapbook, 1910s-1970s (illustrates the long history of Memorial Hospital System and its people), 1910s-1970s|
|10||Memorial Hospital System, events, publications, Mnews, 1980s-1990s|
|12||Margaret Ophelia Neal Trust, history of beneficiaries, 1928-1938|
|13||Margaret Ophelia Neal Trust, receipts and disbursements, August 1950-September 1951, 1950-1951|
|14||Robert Neal Trust, history of beneficiaries, 1940-1950, receipts and disbursements 1950-1951; Memorial today, 1996-1997; Memorial Today, Memorial Care System, events 1987-1988, 1940-1997|
|OV 514||Scrapbook, circa 1930-1933|
|Newspaper, School of Nursing Graduates, 1933|
|OV 515||Scrapbook 1960-1962; poster “This Magic Moment” (removed from tube and flatten in OV folder), 1960-1962|
|OV 516||Scrapbook 1956, oversized 1937, 1971, 1937-1971|
|OV 517||Scrapbook, 1950s|
|OV 518||Scrapbook 1931-1946 [Part 1/2: 1931-1941], 1931-1941|
|OV 519||Scrapbook 1931-1946 [Part 2/2: 1941-1946], 1941-1946|
|OV 520||Clippings, 1940s|
|OV 521||Clippings, 1940s|
|OV 522||News 1963-1971; Baptist Standard Newspapers 1926, 1935, 1942; Oversize pages from Scrapbook 1910s-1970s (Box 9), bulk dates 1960s-1970s; Oversize Photographs of Memorial Hospital Buildings and People, 1909-1967, 1909-1970s|