The ABCC Photograph Collection contains pictures of staff, survivors, buildings, and events that pertain to the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The dates of the photographs range from 1946, when the ABCC was established, to 1975 when it became the Radiation Effects Research Foundation (RERF). The collection contains 9 boxes of photographs that vary in size and are in good condition.
Dr. Ray C. Anderson was an Army Medical Officer and a member of the research team at the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission in Hiroshima, Japan, from 1947 to 1949. During this time, Anderson kept a personal journal of his experiences, and took numerous pictures of Hiroshima, the surrounding area, and his friends and colleagues in Japan. This collection comprises photocopies of Anderson’s journal and the photographs he took during his time at the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission. It is believed that Anderson’s family still retains the original copies of the diary and photographs. This is collection MS 95. It is one box, 0.5 cubic feet.
The Frank Arnett, MD papers contains materials covering the professional career of Dr. Frank Arnett, MD. Dr. Arnett came to Houston in 1984 as a Professor of Medicine and director of the Division of Rheumatology at the University of Texas Medical School. He was Chairman of the Department of Internal Medicine from 2001-2004. The collection includes medical objects, video, photographs of Dr. Arnett and colleagues, awards and recognitions, copies of presentation material, and grants awarded information. A large portion of the collection is composed of reprints of Dr. Arnett’s numerous publications, most on the genetics and genomics of multiple rheumatic diseases. The collection also includes realia, such as two of Dr. Arnett’s white coats and other objects. This collection is in good condition and consists of 7 cubic feet (11 boxes).
The Valliant C. Baird, MD papers document the life, career and leadership of Dr. Valliant C. Baird, who made significant contributions to the Exxon Oil Company, Texas Medical Center, and the community of Houston Texas. Dr. Baird was active in the University of Texas School of Public Health, Baylor College of Medicine, and Tulane University School of Medicine. The collection contains one small box of materials, including Dr. Baird’s biography prepared for Who’s Who in America, personal correspondence, publications and official documents. Materials are in good condition.
The Howard Barkley, MD papers (MS 028) contain degrees, licenses, newsletters, clippings, photographs, certificates, awards, and a book related to his career in thoracic surgery and his personal life. Dr. Barkley was an associate of professor of clinical surgery at Baylor College of Medicine, chief of thoracic surgery at MD Anderson Hospital. He also served on the staff of Hermann Hospital as chief of thoracic surgery, and he was chairman of the medical staff at Houston AntiTubercular Clinic. The collection spans from 1930 to 1980 and consists of 3 boxes (1 document and 2 oversized), equaling 2.25 cubic feet. The materials are in good condition.
Dr. Joseph Lewis Belsky was Chief of Medicine for the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission (ABCC), a committee formed to study the long-term effects of radiation exposure on the residents of Nagasaki and Hiroshima, Japan, from 1969-1972. (The ABCC was subsequently renamed the Radiation Effects Research Foundation (RERF)).
The Matilda Benyesh-Melnick, MD papers document the career of Dr. Mailda Benyesh-Melnick, who made significant contributions to the fields of virology, microbiology, and oncology before beginning her career as a psychiatrist. She worked closely with her husband, Joseph L. Melnick, MD on his research on poliomyelitis as well as conducting her own research in myoplasma and it’s relationship with cancer development in certain animals. This collection focuses on the research she conducted and collected between 1956 and 1974. The collection consists of 2 boxes, equaling .75 cubic feet. It contains reprints, reports, journals, magazines, and an undated manuscript. The materials are in good condition.
The Ernst W. Bertner, MD papers document the life, career, and leadership of Dr. Ernst W. Bertner, who was one of the founders and first president (1945 – 1950) of the Texas Medical Center in Houston, Texas. He was also the acting director for the first four years of the existence of the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. Dr. Bertner was active in leading many medical organizations and institutions in the first half of the 20th century in Texas and in the nation. These papers provide information about his life, including his service in World War I, his contributions to medical organizations, such as the Texas Medical Association and the American Cancer Society, and to the development of the Texas Medical Center and its institutions. The collection is 6.5 cubic feet in size and materials are in good condition.
The Laura C. Bickel, MD papers document the career of Dr. Laura Bickel in the field of pediatrics, particularly with Rubella patients and the study of congenital diseases. This collection focuses on work from 1938-1967 with emphasis on a series of case studies done between 1942 and 1944. The collection equals 1 box and contains reprints, journals, correspondance, case histories, birth reports, phtographs and x-rays. The materials are in fair condition.
Connie Brady was a nursing student at the Shannon West Texas Memorial Hospital School of Nursing in San Angelo, Tom Green County, Texas, from 1960 to 1964. This collection includes a graded 1964 diary Brady wrote for a nursing course, school-related correspondence and papers, school publications, and nursing publications. The material is in good condition and is about 0.25 cubic feet (1 box). 1960-1964.
The Hilde Bruch, MD papers contains biographical records, published works, unpublished works, office files, correspondence, and audio recordings that document the career of Dr. Hilde Bruch in phsyciatry from 1940s through 1970s. This collection offers important insights into psychiatric trends in the second half of the twentieth century, particularly into the treatment of psycho-social illness, like anorexia nervosa and obesity. They also detail in the life history of an individual, the personal and cultural crises precipitated by exile from Nazi Germany, and the struggle of women for greater participation in science and medicine, both significant phenomena in the history of this century. The collection is 56 cubic feet, and the materials are in good condition.
The Reginald Burbank, MD papers include institutional publications, medical research, translations, books, pamphlets, correspondence, letters, newspaper clippings, typed manuscripts, typed manuscripts (drafts), and medical journals that document the research and career of Dr. Reginald Burbank. Dr. Burbank dedicated more than fifty years of his life to the study, research, and treatment of arthritis, rheumatism, and gout. Dr. H.J. Hadjopoulos conducted research alongside Dr. Burbank for forty-seven years. The collection is 2 cubic feet in size and materials are in relatively good condition.
The Kenneth L. Burdon, MD papers document the life, career and leadership of Dr. Kenneth Burdon, who made significant contributions to the Baylor College of Medicine, the Texas Medical Center, and the community of Houston Texas. Dr. Burdon is recognized as the Founding Chair of the Department of Microbiology Baylor University College of Medicine (1943-1961). This collection focuses on the early development of Baylor College of Medicine and Dr. Burdon’s research in microbiology and immunology. The collection consists of one box. Materials are in good condition.
The Lee D. Cady V.A. Photograph Collection documents the career of Lee D. Cady, MD as the first Manager (Director) of the Veterans Administration Hospital in Houston, Texas. The photos document physical changes in the V.A. facilites, medical staff and personnel at the hospital, and notable visitors during Dr. Cady’s tenure. The collection is 1.75 cubic feet (3 boxes). The collection is in good condition.
The R. Lee Clark manuscript collection consists of Dr. Clark’s papers, both personal and professional, collected over a 30-year period. Much of the collection centers around University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, where Dr. Clark was Director and Chief of Staff, President, and finally President Emeritus. There is an historical series within the collection relating to the formation of the early M.D. Anderson Hospital and the Texas Medical Center. The collection includes information on other cancer institutes and organizations, both national and international.
The records of Dr. Daniel L. Creson document his career in psychiatry as a clinician, educator, community organizer, humanitarian and historian. His work as a clinician and educator are shown through records of classes, lectures and symposiums which he either taught or organized. Information about some of the mental health or professional organizations he directed or was active in is available. Photographs and print material document his humanitarian work in areas of international conflict. Dr. Creson worked for many years to document the history of psychiatry in Texas. The collection includes audio and video tape interviews with many psychiatric professionals as well as print material about Texas mental health care institutions.
The Leta Denham, RN papers contains handwritten notes, photographs, newspapers articles, nursing cap and pin, certificates, and yearbook from the nursing education and career of Leta Denham. She was a nursing student at Baptist Sanitarium and Hospital Training School for Nurses in Houston, Texas. Two years after graduating in 1919 she spent a year in China working as a missionary. The collection equals one cubic foot and includes two boxes and one oversize folder. Materials are primarily in good condition. Rolled panoramic photographs need conservation consultation to flatten.
Murdina M. Desmond, M.D., FAAP (Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics) was a member of a 1950s team that developed an infection control plan for hospital- acquired staphyloccous infection for newborns. Dr. Desmond began the first neonatal intensive care unit in the nation at the former Jefferson Davis Hospital and worked with affected babies at the hospital during the 1963-64 rubella outbreak. In 1973, she became director of the Leopold Meyer Center for Developmental Pediatrics at Texas Children’s Hospital. (Adapted from the obituary in the American Academy of Pediatrics News, 2003;23;123.)
The Leon Dmochowski, MD, PhD papers are reprints and reports that cover his career in virology and oncology. Leon Dmochowski was a virologist, experimental oncologist, and academic in Texas Medical Center in Houston, TX. He held faculty positions at both Univeristy of Texas at Houston and Baylor College of Medicine. The collection contains 2 boxes equaling 1 cubic foot, the materials are mostly in good condition. One item has water damage.
The Doctor’s Club records profiles a club for doctors and dentists and their families in The Texas Medical Center in Houston, Texas. These papers and photographs describe the Doctor’s Club and its events from 1954 to its closure in 2005. Club emphemera and artifacts such as sculptures, portraits, and a skull are included in the collection. The collection is 8 cubic feet in size, and materials are in good condition.
The Ivan Frances Duff, MD, papers, MS 90, consists of Dr. Duff’s work in the field of rheumatology and his professional work in China and in Japan. The collection covers the years 1966-1993. Dr. Duff was born July 20, 1915 in Pendleton, Oregon. He graduated from the University of Oregon and the University of Michigan Medical School, where he completed his internship and residency training in internal medicine. In 1946 he joined the faculty of the Department of Internal Medicine at the University of Michigan where he served in several capacities. His major interest was in the field of rheumatic diseases. He died Oct. 27, 1994. Dr. Duff’s interest in epidemiology led to studies with the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission (ABCC) beginning in 1964. He was a researcher with the ABCC from 1967-1975 and then with the Radiation Effects Research Foundation (RERF) from 1975-1986. He studied the incidence and prevelance of rheumatoid arthritis and gout in Hiroshima and Nagasaki patients. In 1980, Dr. Duff was a member of an American Physician Exchange Group of twelve doctors visiting the People’s Republic of China at the invitation of the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences. This initial visit led to a long relationship between Dr. Duff and the Chinese medical community. From 1981 to 1991, Dr. Duff was a research consultant at Peking Union Medical College, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences Beijing, People’s Republic of China, where he collaborated in epidemiologic studies of rheumatic diseases. Most of the materials are in good shape. Some items show water damage. The collection consists of 3.75 cubic feet (6 boxes).
William “Bill” H. Ellett donated the William H. Ellett Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission papers. Ellett is a physicist. He graduated from Rensselear Polytechnic Institute with a B.S. in physics. He earned a masters of science in physics at New York University and a doctorate in radiation physics at Royal Postgraduate Medical School at the University of London. From 1984 to 1992, he served as a consultant for the Radiation Effects Research Foundation at Hiroshima. From 1985 to 1991, he was a a senior program officer on the Board on Radiation Effects Research, Commission on Life Sciences with the National Academy of Sciences. He The materials includes a 1945 topographical map of Nagasaki used in planning the atomic attack and a 1946 topographical map of Hiroshima that was used by the international damage assessment group. The collection also includes an unpublished manuscript of ABCC history written by John Z. Bowers, a former ABCC staffer. Ellett also included his personal copies of the “Life Span Study” reports. The size of the collection is one cubic foot (2 boxes and two oversize maps).
The Frederick C. Elliott, DDS papers consists of manuscripts, reports, policies as well as correspondence, scrapbooks, and graduation apparel that document Dr. Elliott’s life and career at the University of Texas School of Dentistry. Dr. Elliott came to Houston in 1932 when he accepted a Professorship of Dental Prosthesis and Deanship at the Texas Dental College. He was instrumental in getting the Texas Dental College to become part of the University of Texas System. From 1943 to 1952 he served in both academic and administrative posts in the University’s School of Dentistry. The size of the collection is 14.5 linear feet (25 boxes). Materials are in good condition.
Manuscript (MS) 159, The Herbert Fred, MD Papers, is a collection of papers related to Dr. Fred’s medical career and personal life in six series: Medical Life, Running Life, Writing Life, Family Life, Religious Life and Legal. Herbert Leonard Fred, MD was born in 1929 in Waco, Texas. He is known for his contribution to medical education. He is an award-winning clinician, diagnostician, and professor of internal medicine. In keeping with the beliefs of Sir William Osler, Dr. Fred, an emeritus American Osler Society member, centered his medical practice on the patient, championing the use of the mind and five senses to develop medical diagnoses. The collection consists of correspondence, certificates of fact, scholarly presentations, scholarly article reprints, news clips, portrait and event records, and medical conditions in text, photographic, slide, video, and audio formats along with award and gift realia from Dr. Fred’s medical career and personal life. Papers relating to Dr. Fred’s parents and grandparents from the Fred and Marks families in Waco, Texas are in the Family Series. While most of the collection is open to public use, some folders have restricted access due to patient confidentiality. Dr. Fred was a life-long chronicler and the collection detail is rich. With a date range from 1890 to 2013, the collection consists of 112 cubic feet in 88 boxes plus several realia objects in the Oversize collection.
The Felix L. Haas, PhD papers contains biographical information, professional records, correspondence, certificates, reprints, publications, dissertation, experiment notebooks, lectures, speeches, grant materials, wellness programs, committee reports and minutes, minutes, course outlines, and audio recordings that document the life and career of Dr. Haas at MD Anderson Cancer Center and the University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston. The collection includes documents concerning the University of Texas Health Science Center, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center and University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences (UTGSBS) in Houston. Unique to the collection are the audiotapes (reel and cassette) that detail the beginnings of the UTGSBS. The collection is 51 cubic feet (102 boxes). Materials are in good condition.
The Bela Halpert, MD papers document the career of Dr. Bela Halpert, who made significant contributions in the area of Pathology. He served as chief of laboratory services for the Veterans Administration and professor of pathology at Baylor College of Medicine. This collection focuses on the research of Dr. Bela Halpert and Dr. Carl Langenbuch, a German surgeon in the late 19th Century. The collection equals 2 boxes and contains photographs, biographical information, letters, and article reprints. The materials are in good condition.
The Howard B. Hamilton, MD, papers, MS 66, includes material from 1945-1997 related to the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission (ABCC) and the Radiation Effects Research Foundation (RERF). Hamilton was the Chief of Clinical Laboratories for the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission from 1956 until its dissolution in 1975. He served in the same capacity for the Radiation Effects Research Foundation, which succeeded the ABCC, until 1984. This collection encompasses this period of time in Dr. Hamilton’s career, as well as his related scholarly work after his retirement from RERF. Dr. Hamilton donated his collection of letters, reprints, newspaper articles, photographs, memos, and ephemera to the John P. McGovern Historical Collections and Research Center between 1985 and 2002. The collection is in good condition and consists of 3.75 cubic feet (10 boxes).
Ruth Hartgraves, MD was an Obstetrician-Gynecologist in Houston, Texas from 1935-1985. During her 50 years in private practice, she delivered more than 3000 babies, held appointments at the major hospitals in Houston and was a faculty member at the Baylor College of Medicine. She was active in medical organizations, such as the American Women’s Medical Association, of which she served as President and from which she received the Elizabeth Blackwell Award. She and her sister, Hallie Hartgraves, attended the University of Texas Austin in the 1920s and were among the first women graduates of the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston.The collection includes information about her Texas heritage, family history and life as a professional woman in the mid20th century. Resources document her cultural interests, especially in opera, her religious affiliations at St. Luke’s United Methodist Church, and her extensive world travel.
The Harris County Association of General Practice is a component branch of the American Academy of General Practice and the Texas Chapter of the American Academy of General Practice. Through the diligent efforts of Dr. Lyman C. Blair and others a charter was issued on July 23rd, 1948, thereby establishing the Harris County Chapter.
The Philip S. Hench, MD, papers, MS 76, consist of Dr. Hench’s personal and professional documents from his childhood, 1896, to his death, 1965. These papers provide information about his family and life, including his service in World War II, his contributions to medical research in rheumatic diseases, and his Nobel Award and other awards. Dr. Hench, a co-developer of cortisone as a treatment for rheumatoid arthritis, was a joint winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine in 1950. Dr. Hench had studied rheumatic diseases and researched treatments from his early years in the 1920s as a fellow at Mayo Clinic. At the time of his death, he was Professor Emeritus of Medicine in the University of Minnesota and head of the Section of Rheumatic Diseases at the Mayo Clinic. Dr. Hench was active in leading and participating in many rheumatic organizations and institutions both nationally and internationally.
IC 086 the Hermann Hospital Archive records documents the creation, development, and history of Hermann Hospital. The collection consists of administrative records, founding documents, legal papers, maps, photographs, films, videos, oral histories, nursing school records, yearbooks, and artifacts ranging from the 1869-1998. Hermann Hospital opened in June 1925 and was the first institution in what is now the Texas Medical Center. George H. Hermann (1843-1914), real estate magnate and philanthropist, willed the city a section of land and funds to establish and support a public charity hospital. The hospital also operated a nursing school from 1925-1973. The collection is 480 cubic feet in size which includes 641 boxes. Materials are in good condition.
The HIV/AIDS Houston collection consists of 6 boxes that contain newspaper clippings, reprinted articles, correspondence, speeches, guidelines, newsletter, and printed material that document the early research of AIDS and the impact of AIDS in the Houston area.
The Institute of Religion records document the creaton, development and programs of the Institute of Religion, now the Institute of Spirituality of Health. Founded in 1955 by members of the Houston medical and religious communities, the Institute established the first medical ethics center and one of the first hospital chaplaincy programs in the United States. The Institute conducts lectures on subjects related to medical ethics, healthcare, spirituality and well-being. The collection is .5 cubic foot in size (1 box) and materials are in good condition.
The Herman Walter Johnson, MD papers document the life and career of Dr. Herman Walter Johnson, who was professor and Chairman of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the Baylor College of Medicine. He also served during World War I as major in the United States Army Medical Corps. The collection contains one box and oversized materials, including Dr. Johnson autobiography (Reminiscences of a Male Midwife), news articles, certificates, and offical documents. Materials are in good condition.
The published and unpublished writings of Dr. Eugen Kahn, a respected and significant researcher and educator in the psychiatry discipline during the first part of the 20th century, are the main items in this collection. The published papers are usually in the form of reprints from the journals in which they appeared. Some writings have notes by Kahn. In addition, reprints of articles by Dr. Emil Kraepelin, another important figure in psychiatry, are included. There is some correspondence, primarily between Dr. Kahn and Professor H. Schipperges from the 1960’s, and some academic reports from Dr. Kahn’s tenure at Yale University and at Baylor College of Medicine.
The Marvin A. Kastenbaum, PhD, papers, MS 93, 1950-1997, contain materials related to the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission (ABCC), including audio-visual materials, photographs, artifacts, personal cards, clippings, and statistical analyses compilied by the ABCC. Kastenbaum worked for 17 months as a statistician with the ABCC. Kastenbaum’s first contribution to the archive in March 1994 was a set of photographs of ABCC employees. Later, he made additional donations of artifacts, audio-visual materials and more photographs. While in Japan, Dr. Kastenbaum had occasion to review much of the medical data which had been collected by the commission between 1947 and 1954. During his 17-month affiliation with the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission, Kastenbaum recorded some of his experiences on film. He donated three reels of 8 mm film to the archive in 1995. This film is a unique visual history. He filmed ABCC events in Japan, highlights from festivals, and scenes of daily life. Approximately one-third of the footage is devoted to ABCC personnel, activities and sites. The latter part of the film includes scenes of Hong Kong, Bangkok, India, Pakistan, Israel and Greece that Dr. Kastenbaum filmed after leaving Tokyo, Japan in May 1954. The collection is 1.75 cubic feet (3 boxes).
MS 050 Mavis P. Kelsey, MD papers equals 40 cubic feet, documenting Dr. Kelsey’s medical career and growth of the Kelsey-Seybold Clinic. The collection, for the most part, consists of correspondence, reports, office files, government contracts, legal agreements, accounting records, photographs, and a large set of medical reprints. Aspects of his education and personal life are also documented. A unique highlight of the collection is his materials on military medicine. Dr. Kelsey saved numerous clippings, reports, and photographs from World War II and his assignment in Alaska. In 1986, Dr. Kelsey donated his papers to the archive. This collection is open to researchers. There are however folders where restrictions may apply. The materials are in good condition.
The Saul Kit, PhD papers document the career of Dr. Saul Kit, who made significant contributions to the field of biochemistry. He was chief of the section of nucleoprotein metabolism in the Department of Biochemistry at M.D. Anderson Hospital, and later Head of the Division of Biochemical Virology at Baylor College of Medicine. He served as President of the Southwest Section of the American Association for Cancer Researchers, the Treasurer of the American Society for Cell Biology, and President of the American Society for Cell Biology. This collection focuses on his research published from 1958-1974. The collection equals 1 box and contains journals, reprints, copies and an undated manuscript. The materials are in good condition.
Ernst Knobil, PhD was a world renowned physiologist whose work was seminal in many areas of endocrinology. Dr. Knobil was on the faculty of the Harvard Medical School, Chairman of the Department of Physiology at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, and Dean of the University of Texas Medical School at Houston. He maintained an active research laboratory from 1951 to 1997. This collection contains data notebooks from his laboratories; information about the funding support he received from various sources, including the National Institutes of Health; information about his Deanship and other appointments; lectures and material for classes he taught; significant resources on his activities with professional organizations, such as the National Academy of Sciences and the American Physiology Society; correspondence with a wide range of national and international scientists; reprints and/or manuscripts of his published material; and biographical information about his education. This collection provides a comprehensive overview of work of an important and distinguished biomedical scientist and academic of the latter half of the twentieth century.
Dr. Lange served with the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission from 1951-1953 in the Department of Medicine. Scientists investigating radiation and the relationship to leukemia and hematology will be interested in the research Dr. Lange conducted at ABCC. Dr. Large worked closely with Dr. William C. Moloney, the former ABCC Chief of the Department of Medicine. Dr. Moloney’s personal journal, with photographs describing his two years at ABCC is also part of the Archive’s ABCC Collection. The collection is open for research. Individuals interested in using the collection should contact the Director of the Historical Research Center or the Coordinator for the ABCC Collections.
Moise Dreyfus Levy Sr, MD was born September 4, 1889 in Galveston, Texas and grew up in Natchitoches, Louisiana (Texas State Journal of Medicine volume 59 pages 248-49, March 1963). Dr. Levy’s medical career spanned 50 years, 40 of those spent practicing medicine in Houston, TX. Dr. Levy graduated from The University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston, TX on May 31, 1913. He was the first president of the Texas Society of Pathology, which was founded in 1921 and continues to exist today. Dr. Levy was elected president of the Harris County Medical Society in 1957. He was the author of 33 published medical writings (TSJM 59:248-49, Mar., 1963). Several letters pertaining to Dr. Levy’s articles and copies of two original articles, one on the treatment of Bubonic Plague in Galveston, TX from circa 1920 and one on the use of Tartar Emetic as a cure for Malaria circa 1917 are included in the collection. The scope of the collection is limited to selected papers and a plaque from 1957 that commemorates Dr. Levy’s time as president of the Harris County Medical Society. These items were donated by Dr. Levy’s daughter Justine (Levy) Bennett to the Houston Academy of Medicine – Texas Medical Center Library in 1982. The collection is one box, 0.5 cubic feet. The title of the collection is Moise Dreyfus Levy, MD, Papers and is collection number MS 33. The collection is in excellent condition.
The Medical Arts Publishing Foundation collection consists of Illustrations, cover art, and medical portraits from publications produced by Medical Arts Publishing Foundations – Cancer Bulletin, Heart Bulletin, Psychiatric Bulletin, and Medical Records & Annuals. Through collaboration between R. Lee Clark and Russell W. Cumley, Cancer Bulletin and the other publications were developed as a fun, visual and entertaining medical journal to draw attention to the history of cancer research, cardiology, psychiatry, and Texas medicine. Their vision was a “highly readable pictorial magazine for the general practitioner” that would increase early diagnosis of cancer. Each publication had its own distinct style and motif. Joe Schwarting was the Art Director and principle artist for all publications. The group of artists were based international and locally in Houston. Other artists include Eva Marie Schubart, Imelda Schubart, Peter Spier, Joe Spire, George Shackelford, Mary Shackelford, and Joseph Doeve. The coolection is 86 cubic feet, and materials oare in good condition.
The Thomas Matney papers, MS 146, includes materials from 1926 through 2011 relating to Dr. Matney’s research in genetics, Dr. Matney’s teaching materials, and his research as a community activist into the support and well being of at-risk children. Dr. Matney was the first associate dean of the newly formed UT Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences as well as a professor of genetics and environmental science and a student advisor. Professor Matney made important contributions to scientific understanding of cancer-causing agents and the genetic mechanisms that underlie the development of cancer. Mrs. Nancy Matney donated Dt. Matney’s collection of personal and business correspondence, photographs, newspaper articles, pamphlets, diplomas, awards, artwork, a scrapbook, yearbooks, journal articles, abstracts, contracts, applications, research notes and notebooks, lecture notes, audiovisual material, ephemera, and realia to the John P. McGovern Historical Collections and Research Center in January 2011. The collection is 10.5 cubic feet (thirteen boxes).
The Memorial Hospital System records (IC 022) contains photographs, scrapbooks, M news, Memorial Foundation News in Partnership, Margaret Ophelia Neal trust, WWI photo album, student nurses hospital scenes, Caducean (some water damage to paper), publications, telephone directory, news clippings, press releases, histories, hospital rules, donors, catalogs, handbooks, poster of “This Magic Moment”, and other papers and printed materials. The photographs in this collection document the history of the Memorial Hospital System from its beginnings, especially the history of the nursing school, dating back to 1907. Originally named the Baptist Sanitarium, Memorial Hospital opened in 1907 in a two-story, wood-framed building with 17 beds and 8 trained nurses on staff. It chartered the first nursing school in Houston, graduating its first class in 1909. Memorial developed the hospital satellite system, and in the 1960s, it open three community hospitals in the Southwest (1962), Southeast (1963), and Northwest (1966). In 1997 Memorial Hospital merged with Hermann Hospital, becoming Memorial Hermann Healthcare System. The collection equals 15.75 cubic feet and consists 23 boxes, including 9 oversize. The materials are in good condition.
The Memorial Hospital Photograph Collection contains 4039 photographic prints and negatives from 1903 to 1976 that chronicle the long history of the Memorial Hospital System. The photographs depict the staff, physicians, personnel, departments, nursing school students, faculty and Lillie Jolly (director), facilities and building construction of the Memorial Hospital. Founded in 1907 as the Baptist Sanitarium, Memorial Hospital began as a two-story, wood-framed building with 17 beds and 8 trained nurses on staff. It chartered the first nursing school in Houston, graduating its first class in 1909. Memorial developed the hospital satellite system, and in the 1960s, it open three community hospitals in the Southwest (1962), Southeast (1963), and Northwest (1966). In 1997 Memorial Hospital merged with Hermann Hospital, becoming Memorial Hermann Healthcare System. The collection equals 3.5 cubic feet and includes 7 boxes. Materials are in good condition.
Menninger Foundation [Clinic] records comprises medical realia, publications, and ephemera from the Menninger Clinic and its former owners. The collection illustrates the evolution of the science of psychiatry and psychiatric treatment as seen through the eyes of America’s first family of psychiatry, the Menningers, who opened its eponymous clinic in Topeka, Kansas, in 1925. Objects in the collection date as far back as 1854 through 2003, the year the clinic and its archive moved to Houston. The bulk of the collection is in good condition and consist of 84 cubic feet (123 boxes).
The collection documents Dr. Meynier’s work in obstetrics and gynecology from 1931 to his retirement in 1977. Of particular interest is the history of Dr. Meynier’s involvement in numerous issues of the mid-twentieth century: public health services and delivery of medical care to the indigent, location of a new city-county charity hospital, and the controversy surrounding liberalization of laws governing abortion. Also documented are Dr. Meynier’s terms as president, respectively, of the Texas Association of Obstetricians and Gynecologists in 1960, the Houston Gynecological and Obstetrical Society in 1964, and the Harris County Medical Society in 1969.
Thomas F. Miles, M.D., was born in Alabama in 1858 and died in Lorena, Texas in 1937. He attended Vanderbilt University and graduated from Tulane in 1884 with a degree in Doctor of Medicine. He later practiced medicine in Eddy, Texas and later Lorena where he lived and practiced for 54 years. This collection includes his black bag, medicines in glass bottles, one carte-de-visite and two cabinet cards depicting Miles, diplomas, surgical instruments, medical tools, and some papers. The collection is generally in fair condition. The black leather bag is brittle. The photographic images are in excellent condition. The surgical tools show some rust. The medicines in glass vials have degraded. 1 cubic foot (1 box). 1880-1908.
The Robert W. Miller, MD papers, MS 101, includes materials from 1953 through 1998 related to the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission (ABCC) and the Radiation Effects Research Foundation (RERF). Dr. Miller was the chief pediatric physician on the team that conducted the research and observations in Hiroshima, Japan. This collection encompasses this period of time in Dr. Miller’s career, as well as scholarly work relating to the results of the ABCC’s research. Dr. Miller donated his collection of personal and business correspondence, journal articles, book reviews, business reports, newspaper articles, pamphlets, and a book to the John P. McGovern Historical Collections and Research Center between 1994 and 1998. The materials are in good condition. The collection is 0.5 cubic feet (one box).
William C. Moloney MD kept a personal journal, with photographs, for much of his two years in Japan with the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission. In January of 1986, Dr. Moloney donated his journal, correspondence and diary pages to the Harris County Medical Archive. He died in 1998 at the age of 91. His first contribution was a set of ten reprints representing his work with the ABCC from 1952 to 1954. Dr. Moloney’s journal is a fine document, one which will be of great use to historians. It is an important record of personal impressions, thoughts and details of events. The journal gives new insights into the work of the ABCC and into the people who participated in that work. Dr. Moloney wrote in his journal from April 1952 to February 1954. The Korean War was on and there was a great deal of military activity in southern Japan. The collection is open for research. The collection consists of a handwritten journal, loose calendar or notebook pages and some reprints. The journal is in generally fair condition. The paper is slightly acidic and the binding is loose. There are numerous photos glued onto the pages. The collection encompasses the years 1952-1954 and is 0.25 cubic feet (1 box).
The Medical World News Photograph Collection (IC 077) is one of the largest and most interesting in the Texas Medical Center Library, McGovern Historical Center. Comprised of an estimated 500,000 photographic prints, negatives, and transparencies, it offers an expansive visual tour of medical advances from 1960-1988. Through biographical files, subject files, article files, raw negative footage, and color transparencies, this collection documents the production of a premiere medical news magazine, and it contains most of the images published in the magazine from 1967-1985. The collection also contains cover story files from 1978-1979 that consist of article drafts, interview transcripts, and other materials related to specific cover stories. Medical World News was an image-rich weekly publication that focused on medical developments, issues, and personalities. It was published for 35 years from 1960 to 1994. The collection is 218 cubic feet and equals 424 document boxes and 8 oversize boxes. The materials are in good condition and open for research.
James V. Neel is one of world’s premier geneticists. He has contributed to the field of human genetics as a scientist, physician, professor, consultant and administrator. He received his Ph.D. as well as M.D. from the University of Rochester in New York. He completed his residency at Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester, New York. Dr. Neel has been affiliated with the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor for nearly fifty years. Since 1985, he has served as the Lee R. Dice Distinguished University Professor Emeritus of Human Genetics and Professor Emeritus of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. He has served and continues to serve on the committees of a number of national and international institutes, governmental agencies and organizations. Dr. Neel’s collection is one of the largest and most complete of the ABCC Collections held by the Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library (29 boxes/ 11 linear feet).
Michael K. O’Heeron, MD (1908-1980) was a clinical professor of urology at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, TX. He also worked in the urology department at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Houston, TX. The collection contains materials such as photographs, journals, articles, conference, office and personal notes that he produced during his tenure at Baylor College of Medicine and St. Joseph’s Hospital. Correspondences with the State Medical Association of Texas, the University of Nuevo Leon, International College of Surgeons in particular Dr. Julio Pow Sang, and the IV Peruvian Conference on Urology are included. The collection is 0.75 cubic feet (2 boxes).
The John Roberts Phillips, MD and Rebecca Hall Phillips, RN papers contains volumes of catalogued medical works, medical paraphernalia, certificates and diplomas, correspondence, photographs, academic journal reprints, and other materials related to the lives and careers of John and Rebecca Phillips. The collection is 8.5 cubic feet and contains 8 boxes and digitized scrapbooks. As a whole, the material is in good condition and contains material from 1924 to 1982, however, the bulk of the material is from 1927-1974.
The Homer E. Prince, MD papers were donated to the Texas Medical Center Library in 1984, and the collection materials span from the years 1934-1983. The collection documents the professional life of Dr. Homer Edward Prince, and materials are primarily reprints of Dr. Prince’s published research. Dr. Prince’s research reflects his work studying allergies both their causes and treatments. The collection is .25 cubic foot, and materials are in one box. Materials are in good condition.
A major portion of the Raymond D. Pruitt Papers consists of his writings (published and unpublished), including notes on some documents and correspondence about some published documents. Of particular interest are his original manuscripts, material on his years at Oxford University, material on the origin and first years of Mayo Medical School including correspondence regarding his resignation from Baylor Medical College, and material on medical education.
This material is generally arranged in chronological order. Bound meeting minutes and meeting reports are in the original binders. Staples were removed from correspondence. When deemed appropriate, the materials- were interleaved with archival bond to retain original order to the greatest extent possible. The four boxes of material occupy 2 cubic feet. The material is arranged in four series: Series I: Radiation Effects Research Foundation (RERF), General Series II: RERF, Scientific Council Series III: RERF, Board of Directors Series IV: RERF, Budget Draft Proposals
Dr. Henry Renfert, Jr. served in the United States Navy during World War II aboard the U.S.S. Hydrus and U.S.S. Independence. He served aboard the Independence when it was assigned to the atomic bomb experiments on Bikini Atoll. He served after the war at Sasabo base in Japan. For his work there he received the Naval commendation medal for his success in controlling communicable diseases. In 1956 he and Dr. Virgil Lawless founded the Austin Diagnostic Clinic, which grew into the Austin Diagnostic Medical Center and eventually was called the Austin Medical Center.
The Richard S. Ruiz, MD, papers, MS 150, includes materials from 1925 through 2007 related to the Hermann Eye Center. Dr. Ruiz was the Chief of Ophthalmology at Hermann Hospital as well as the Chair of the Department of Ophthalmology at the University of Texas Medical School – Houston. Dr. Ruiz established the Hermann Eye Center, a world class eye care facility which combined the patient care from Hermann Hospital as well as the education and research of the University of Texas Medical School. This collection primarily encompasses the building of the original Hermann Eye Center in 1977 as well as some information about the 1994 renovation of the Hermann Eye Center. Dr. Ruiz donated his collection of journal articles, newspaper articles, business correspondence, photographs, architectural blueprints, and a scrapbook to the John P. McGovern Historical Collections and Research center between March and May 2011. The scrapbook is becoming brittle and many of the pictures are falling off of the leaves. The other materials are in good condition. The collection is 2 cubic feet (three boxes).
Walter J. Russell Collection is composed exclusively of his correspondence with and on behalf of Japanese physicians interested in the radiology training program. The size of the collection is 2.5 linear feet (6 boxes). Walter J. Russell received his medical education at St. Louis University Medical School. He graduated in 1952 with a Doctor of Medicine degree. He is a member of several learned societies. They are as follows: Diplomate American Board Radiology (radiology), American College of Radiology, American Roentgen Ray Society, Health Physics Society, Nippon Societas Radiologica, New York Academy of Sciences, Pan American Medical Association, Radiological Society of North America, Society of Nuclear Medicine. In July of 1959, he was appointed Chief of the Department of Radiology of the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission. Dr. Russell continued his to conduct his research with the ABCC successor organization, the Radiation Effects Research Foundation. His association with RERF continues today. Dr. Russell, his wife Mitsuko and children still live in Hiroshima Japan.
The Society for Academic Continuing Medical Education (SACME) records contains histrical information, publications, correspondence, reports, annual meeting materials, and newsletters that document the history and work of SACME. The mission of SACME is to promote the research, scholarship, evaluation and development of continuing medical education/continuing professional development (CME/CPD) that helps to enhance the performance of physicians and other healthcare professionals practicing in the United States, Canada, and elsewhere for purposes of improving individual and population health. This collection of institutional papers contains information about the history of the Society. The collection is 18 cubic feet and consists of 21 boxes. The materials are in good condition.
The William J. Schull, PhD Papers documents to life and career of Dr. William Schull. Dr. Schull is an American scientist and geneticist famous for his research into the effects of ionizing radiation on the human body largely based on the atomic bombings in Hiroshima and Nagasaki after World War II. Dr. Schull began his scientific career in radiation research in 1949 when he joined the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission (ABCC). Dr. Schull served many decades in the elite corps of scientists conducting research into the genetic impact of irradiation on human health. A professor emeritus of The Human Genetics Center, School of Public Health, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Texas, Dr. Schull served on most of the major governmental and non-governmental committees formed throughout the 20th century to quantify the effects of ionizing radiation. The collection consists of approximately 135 boxes including oversize and audiovisual. It consists of approximately 86 cubic feet of material and is in good condition.
The William J. Schull Photograph Collection, MS 170, contains photographic prints, positive and negative transparencies, and text ephemera from Dr. Schull’s career and many international travels as a global scientific research consultant in the effects of radiation and human genetics. The images and text reflect Dr. Schull’s appreciation for each land’s beauty and the uniqueness of its people, along with the many friends he cultivated in every place he worked. The collection is organized by geographic location in loose archival photo and slide sleeves or in scrapbooks. Geographical areas represented include Japan, Europe and The Middle East; Latin America and South America; Asia, Australia, and South Pacific countries; and the United States. Most of the material is original. Some images were created by the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission (ABCC) Photo labs. The collections consists of approximately 12 boxes including oversize. It consists of approximately 8 cubic feet of material.
The papers of Dr. Seybold are made up primarily of office files, correspondence and memoranda, newsclippings, articles, committee meeting minutes and reports; the working files of a prominent Houston physician who at one time or another served as chief of staff at St. Luke’s Episcopal Hospital, partner and chief of staff of the KelseySeybold Clinic, president of the Texas Surgical Society, member of the University of Texas Committee of 75 and the Centennial Commission. His influence on Texas and Houston medicine is clearly seen in this voluminous collection.
The San Jacinto Lung Association records (IC 034) include correspondence, legal documents, budgets, tuberculosis statistics, committee reports and minutes, printed materials, scrapbooks, articles, christmas seals, and photographs that document the history, community services, staff and administration of the San Jacinto Lung Association. Most notably, the collection highlights the organization’s public health programs to prevent and control tuberculosis as well as its Christmas Seal fundraising campaigns. First established on November 11, 1911 as the Houston Anti-Tuberculosis League to address the public health crisis of tuberculosis, the organization evolved to encompass all respiratory diseases. The collection equals 13 cubic feet (12 document and oversize boxes).The materials are in fair condition.
The Harold S. Skjonsby, DDS, papers (MS069) contains reports, committee notes, curriculum and modules for teaching, grant information, faculty workshop programs, and student handbooks that document Harold S. Skjonsby’s time as faculty the University of Texas Dental Branch at Houston. The collection is 2 cubic feet and materials are in good condition.
This collection MS 176 is composed of the papers of Cheves McCord Smythe, MD, born 1924, a graduate of the Harvard Medical School. The collection covers most of his medical career. Smythe served at numerous hosptials and held several medical teaching and administrative positions. The bulk of his career was spent at The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, where he became the first dean of the school in 1970. He would remain as dean until 1975. Smythe continued his profession at the university until 1995, serving as Professor, Adjunct Professor, and Dean Pro Tem. Smythe served as the dean at the Aga Khan University in Karachi, Pakistan. He served in this role from 1982 to 1985. His involvement with the school continued, and he returned as Professor and Chairman of the Department of Medicine from 1990 to 1991. The collection consists of research documents, correspondence and publications ranging from 1925 to 2013 totalling 9.5 cubic feet (10 boxes).
The James H. Steele DVM, MPH papers document the life and career of James H. Steele, who is considered the father of veterinary public health. These papers provide information about Steele’s research, professional activities and correspondence, travels, and achievements. The collection is 55 cubic feet in size and materials are in good condition.
Vernie A. Stembridge, MD papers include scholarly works and reprints, administrative papers and correspondence, materials concerned with organizations and professional interests that document the career of Dr. Vernie Stembridge. Dr. Stembridge was a major figure in Texas medicine, particularly pathology, during the second half of the twentieth century. The McGovern Historical Research Center in the Texas Medical Center Library received the papers of Dr. Stembridge from his family in February 2011. The materials date from 1945 to 2000. The collection also includes Dr. Stembridge’s personal items and objects – photos, awards, realia, and oversized objects such as a projector for glass slides, plaques, a gavel, and a Tiffany sterling silver bowl. The collection is 20 cubic feet (19 boxes). The materials are in good condition.
The Walter J. Stork, MD, papers (MS 009) contain biographical information, personal and professional correspondence, official documents, news clippings, that detail the personal life, professional activities, medical related records and papers associated with the experiences of Dr. Stork his work for Baylor College of Medicine and also his contributions to the Texas Medical Center. Dr. Stork served with the U.S. Army Medical Corps, (1943-1946), served as a physician and taught at Baylor University College of Medicine Department of Radiology (1973-1976). The collection is .5 cubic feet and consists of 1 document box.
MS 35, the papers of Watauru W. Sutow, MD, primarily cover the professional life of Dr. Sutow. He is known for his work in pediatric oncology and for his pediatric studies with the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission. Sutow was born August 31, 1912 and died December 20, 1981. Sutow was a pioneer in defining and establishing pediatric oncology as a specialty and chemotheraphy as a viable adjunct or alternative to radiotherapy and surgery for the treatment of cancer. During the late 1940s and early 1950s, Sutow directed a pediatric research team for the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission. He later joined the University of Texas’ M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. As a collaborator with the Brookhaven National Labratory, he conducted extensive research on the effects of radiation fallout on Marshall islanders. The Sutow’s papers consist of correspondence and memoranda, committee minutes and reports, drafts, manuscripts, and published professional papers; journal article reprints, personal correspondence and memorablia; and a collection of slides and audio cassette tapes. The collection is in good condition. The papers span the years 1929-1996 with the bulk of material ranging from 1948 to 1981. The collection consists of 43 cubic feet (86 boxes, including 1 oversize box).
Dr. Taylor’s papers consist primarily of personal and professional correspondence; board meeting and committee meeting minutes and reports; drafts, manuscripts, and published professional papers (including several first drafts handwritten by Dr. Taylor); documentation chronicling his role with the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission (ABCC) in Japan, his role in the organization and development of a regional medical plan centered in Houston, of the University of Texas (UT) Postgraduate School of Medicine and its Division of Continuing Education, and of M. D. Anderson Hospital and Tumor Institute (MDAH), currently known as UT M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, and its renowned Department of Pediatrics; applications and correspondence regarding funding for a wide range of research, continuing education, and community projects. These papers document his career beginning with some of his medical school notes. The 38 boxes of material occupy 16 linear feet.
The Judson L. Taylor, MD papers consists of one oversize photograph portrait, two full sheet newspapers, and other newspapers clippings related to Judson Taylor and his brother, Dr. Martin Junius Taylor. Dr. Judson L. Taylor was a surgeon and served as Commander in the United States Navy. The collection is in good condition, and all materials are stored in one oversize box.
Dr. Carl Tessmer served as the first Director of the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission (ABCC), NAS-NRC Field Agency, from 1948 to 1951. His archival collection, titled Carl F. Tessmer, MD, papers, relates to the origin and subsequent progress of the ABCC. The bulk of the material in his collection is administrative in nature. Included are semi-annual and annual reports, National Academy of Sciences (NAS) and National Reseearch Committtee(NRC) committee reports, early negotiations, reports from the initial clinical surveys, published scientific reports and correspondence dating from 1947. Approximately, 300 photographs and 15 sets of negatives accompanied Dr. Tessmer’s Collection. The photographs were moved and housed separately with the ABCC photograph collection, and have been cataloged. This collections is 7.125 linear feet (18 boxes).
The Texas Heart Institute Film Collection contains films related to heart surgery at the Texas Medical Center, primarily during the 1960s and 1970s. Films are typically instructional with brief surgical and case histories at the beginning. The films follow the surgery step-by-step with voice over narration and diagrams inserted to illustrate the process and techniques used. There is a brief follow-up at the end, sometimes including statistical information on patient outcomes for similar surgeries.
The University of Texas (UT) Dental Branch is the oldest institution of higher learning in Houston. It had a modest beginning in 1905 as the Texas Dental College, a privately owned school, The Texas Dental College became part to The University of Texas on September 1, 1943. Ground breaking for our current building was held on May 3, 1952, and the building was ready for occupancy on the 50th anniversary of the founding of the Texas Dental College. The collection includes information about the faculty and students, curriculum information, teaching resources, and memorandums about changes with in the school. The collection covers the years 1906-1997. The collection is in good condition with 9.75 cubic feet (20 boxes).
University of Texas-Houston Health Science Center Internal Medicine Grand Rounds videos contains videos of the Grand Rounds lecture series as well as the Clinicopathologic Conference (CPC) from 1990 to 2002. The Department of Internal Medicine is part the University of Texas Medical School at Houston. The department provides for the education of students, physicians, and the public in the field of biomedical knowledge. The department of Internal Medicine provides clinical education, fosters research, and through its clinical services provides patient care ranging from primary to subspeciality care. Traditionally, Grand Rounds consist of presenting the medical problems and treatment of a particular patient to an audience consisting of doctors, residents, and medical students. These Grand Rounds are like a lecture series with a range of medical-related topics from the history of medicine to current treatments and knowledge about specific diseases. These videos are in good condition. The collection covers the years 1990-2002. They are primarily in VHS format. This is a box level inventory. There are 6.5 cubic feet (13 boxes).
The Women’s Auxiliary to Texas Children’s Hospital (WATCH) records documents the history and activities of the volunteer services organization for Texas Children’s Hospital in Houston, Texas. The collection consists of photographs, audiovisual materials, meeting minutes, meeting notes, organizational handbooks, publications, and scrapbooks. The collection contains 83 scrapbooks that date from 1954 to 2014. The collection is 55 cubic feet in size and materials are in good condition.
Dr. Wigodsky became associated with the ABCC in 1947. He was the Professional Associate on the Committee on Atomic Casualties, National Academy of Sciences-National Research Council, Washington, D.C. His assignment with the ABCC concluded in 1950 but his interest in nuclear accidents and radiation research continues. Dr. Wigodsky has been affiliated with the University of Texas Health Science Center and Medical School at San Antonio for more than four decades, 1955-present. His first appointment was from 1955-1961, as the Director of the University of Texas Post-Graduate School of Medicine, San Antonio, Texas. Dr. Wigodsky has served as a consultant and later as an Associate Coordinator for the University’s Regional Medical Program Planning Office, 1967-1968, 1968-1970. From eight years, 1970-1978 he was a lecturer in the Department of Pathology. In 1978 he was promoted to Clinical Professor. He has been very active as a physician, professor, consultant and administrator.
The Edward T. Wolf, MD papers document the life, career and leadership of Dr. Edward T. Wolf, who made significant contributions to the Texas Medical Center, the community of Houston Texas and his country. Dr. Wolf was active in medical institutions such as Professor of Medicine at Baylor University College of Medicine, a member of the Methodist Hospital medical staff and held numerous memberships, chaired committees, and was editor for Medical Publications. Dr. Wolf directed the founding of the first Houston area Blood Bank and served as Chairman of the Board, and he also served as a Member of the Board for Planned Parenthood. An entire series is composed of documents from his US Army experiences most notably his World War II service in the Pacific Theater of Operations. The collection is 3 cubic feet (7 Boxes) and in good condition.
The Joyce E. Yost, PhD papers consist of 7 boxes and contains newspaper clippings, correspondence, printed material, speeches, magazines, newsletters, manuals, books, studies, reports, reprints, prophylactic material, financial documents, and meeting minutes and materials that document Yost’s doctoral dissertation research. Joyce Elizabeth Elder Yost, while a doctoral student at University of Texas Health Science Center – School of Public Health, completed her dissertation titled “AIDS Talk” in December 1996. Materials are mostly in good condition with some water damage.
The Texas Medical Center Library. 1133 John Freeman Blvd, Houston, TX 77030.