The McGovern Historical Center seeks to document the history of medicine in Texas, specifically in Harris County, Houston and The Texas Medical Center, and to make that information broadly available. The McGovern Historical Center has many books, documents, maps, pamphlets, photographs and ephemera that deal with Texas medical history. Information about these items can be found through The TMC Library’s online catalog or by contacting the McGovern Historical Center.
The following items, samples of some of the holdings, are either available through The TMC Library’s Digital Commons or will be in the near future.
Catalogs, Surgical Instruments and Hospital Supplies
Harris County Medical Society
Polk’s Medical Register and Directory (Texas Portion only)
- 1886. Medical and Surgical Directory of the United States (Texas portion only), Detroit, R.L. Polk & Co.
- 1896. Medical and Surgical Register of the United States (Texas portion only), Detroit, R.L. Polk & Co.
- 1902. Polk’s Medical Register and Directory of the United States and Canada (Texas portion only), Detroit, R.L. Polk & Co.
- 1906. Polk’s Medical Register and Directory of North America (Texas portion only), Detroit, R.L. Polk & Co. 1906
- Three Years in a Mad-House. Fleming, E.B. and Augustin Fleming. Tyler, Texas, 1893
- The Experiences of an Asylum Patient. Grant-Smith, Rachel. London, 1922
- Little Rock Joe, or Three and a Half Months in the Asylum. Miller Grove, Texas
- Ideal Characteristics of the Officers of a Hospital for the Insane. Ray, I. Philadelphia, 1883
Texas Health Facilities Postcards
- Corpus Christi
- San Antonio
Texas Medical Center