Archivist & Special Collections Librarian
The Texas Medical Center Library, McGovern Historical Center is excited to announce the completion of two important collections: Texas Medical Center records (IC 002) and the Texas Medical Center Photograph Collection (IC 104). Complete finding aids and inventories are now online and available for researchers on the McGovern Historical Center website and Texas Archival Resources Online (TARO).
These collections are some of the more significant in the archive documenting the history of the Texas Medical Center, one of the largest medical centers in the world (and the namesake of The TMC Library). In total the collections equal 101 boxes encompassing the the years 1905-2019, but the majority of the materials date from 1946-2019. The entire McGovern Historical Center made this achievement possible. It could not have happened without the hard work of Lead Archivist Assistant, Alethea Drexler, and Archivist Assistant, Gina Leonard. Alethea processed the TMC records and has updated the inventory as more materials have been donated. Gina inventoried every one of the almost 2600 photographs in the TMC Photograph Collection.
Texas Medical Center records (IC 002), bulk 1946-2019
The Texas Medical Center records contains administrative records, photographs, printed materials, audiovisual materials, architectural documents, promotional materials, research materials, and maps that document the history and development of the TMC. The majority of the materials date within the record-keeping activity of the TMC from 1946 to present. Administrative records include TMC charter materials, correspondence, committee minutes, budgetary information, and directories. Photographic and audiovisual materials are promotional in nature and include prints, aerial photographs, slides, audio, video, and film. Architectural documents include drawings, blueprints, and maps. The collection consists of 94 boxes, equaling 41 cubic feet. We expect this collection to grow each year.
Texas Medical Center Photograph Collection (IC 104), 1938-1982
The Texas Medical Center (TMC) Photograph Collection contains photographic materials that document the growth and development of the TMC from 1938 to 1982. The collection consists of about 2600 items and includes photographic prints, aerial photographs, negatives, transparencies and printed materials. The materials depict the institutions of the TMC, their staff, facilities, services, and patient care. Images show buildings and their construction as well as some photographic copies of architectural drawings. Aerial photographs from the 1940s through the 1980s show the TMC develop into an urban center. The collection provides images of the leaders and historical figures that shaped the TMC from concept to reality. The collection totals 7 boxes, equaling 3.5 cubic feet. The Texas Medical Center originally donated the photographs to the archive in 1980. They were cataloged as part of a general historical photograph collection along with other donated photographs. This collection was created based on the identification numbers and descriptions recorded on available catalog cards. Yes, we used the Old Card Catalog to make these materials available again!
Incorporated in 1946, the Texas Medical Center is a comprehensive medical community located south of downtown Houston. It comprises 54 institutions, including four medical and seven nursing schools, 21 hospitals, three level-I trauma centers, eight specialty institutions, and academic and research institutions for many other health-related disciplines.