Library Staff Accomplishments
The TMC Library staff participate in a variety of professional activities. Included on this page are recent publications, presentations, courses completed, professional service activities, and major library projects.
- Shields, A. D., Battistelli, J., Kavanagh, L., Ouellette, L., Thomson, B., & Nielsen, P. (2022). Staying Current: Developing Just-in-time Evidence-Based Learning Objectives for a Maternal Cardiac Arrest Simulation Curriculum. Cardiology and cardiovascular medicine, 6(3), 245–254. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35859994/
- Hirzallah MI, Lochner P, Hafeez MU, Lee AG, Krogias C, Dongarwar D, Manchanda R, Ouellette L, Hartman ND, Ertl M, Schlachetzki F, Robba C. Quality assessment of optic nerve sheath diameter ultrasonography: Scoping literature review and Delphi protocol. J Neuroimaging. 2022 Jun 16. doi: 10.1111/jon.13018. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35711135.
- Gadot, R., LoPresti, M. A., Smith, D. N., Ouellette, L., & Lam, S. (2022). Firearm-Related Pediatric Head Trauma: A Scoping Review. Neurosurgery, 10.1227/neu.0000000000002025. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1227/neu.0000000000002025
- Ouellette, L & Sisson, A. (2022) The Literature Search: Three Levels of Searching. In S. Wallace and G. Gokulakrishnan (Eds.), Evidence-Based Medicine: From the Clinician and Educator Perspective (pp 19-31) Nova Science Publishers.
- Romano J, Huynh N. OpenAthens odyssey: challenges of implementing federated authentication for a multi-institutional user population. Journal of the Medical Library Association, 2021 Oct 1;109(4):648-655. doi: 10.5195/jmla.2021.1170. PMID: 34858097; PMCID: PMC8608206. https://jmla.mlanet.org/ojs/jmla/article/view/1170
- Van Benschoten, V., Roy, C., Gupta, R., Ouellette, L., Hingorani, S., & Li, A. (2022). Incidence and risk factors of transplant-associated thrombotic microangiopathy (TA-TMA): a systematic review and meta-analysis. Transplantation and Cellular Therapy, S2666-6367(22)00029-X. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtct.2022.01.009 PMID: 35042011
- Patel, S. R., Kanabur, P., Possoit, H. E., Kinley, A., Varman, B., Coburn, M., & Sukumar, S. (2021). Management of mammalian bites to the external genitalia: a scoping review. BJU international, 10.1111/bju.15671. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1111/bju.15671
- Heitzer, A. M., Hamilton, L., Stafford, C., Gossett, J., Ouellette, L., Trpchevska, A., King, A. A., Kang, G., & Hankins, J. S. (2021). Academic Performance of Children With Sickle Cell Disease in the United States: A Meta-Analysis. Frontiers in Neurology, 12, 786065. https://doi.org/10.3389/fneur.2021.786065
- Misra, S.M., Holdstock, N., Baez, J.C., Garcia N., Guiterrez, A., Swamy, P., Lee, K., Bjugstad, A., (2021) Systematic review of former unaccompanied immigrant minors’ access to healthcare services in the United States. Journal of Public Health (Berl.) https://doi.org/10.1007/s10389-021-01652-5
- Wetherill, M., Duncan, A., Bowman, H., Collins, R., Santa-Pinter, N., Jackson, M., Lynn, C. M., Prentice, K., & Isaacson, M. (2021, July 11). Promoting nutrition equity for individuals with physical challenges: A systematic review of barriers and facilitators to healthy eating. Preventive Medicine. doi:10.1016/j.ypmed.2021.106723
- Vonasek, B., Ness, T., Takwoingi, Y., Kay, A. W., van Wyk, S. S., Ouellette, L, Marais, B. J., Steingart, K. R., & Mandalakas, A. M. (2021). Screening tests for active pulmonary tuberculosis in children. The Cochrane database of systematic reviews, 6(6), CD013693. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD013693.pub2
- Wagner, S. M., Bell, C. S., Gupta, M., Mendez-Figueroa, H., Ouellette, L., Blackwell, S. C., & Chauhan, S. P. (2021). Interventions to Decrease Complications After Shoulder Dystocia: A Systematic Review and Bayesian Meta-Analysis. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2021.05.008
- Nguyen, H. N., Kulkarni, M., Jose, J., Sisson, A., Brandt, M. L., Sammer, M., & Pammi, M. (2021). Ultrasound for the diagnosis of malrotation and volvulus in children and adolescents: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Archives of Disease in Childhood, archdischild-2020-321082.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/pmid/33879472/
- Balakrishnan, M., Patel, P., Dunn-Valadez, S., Dao, C., Khan, V., Ali, H., El-Serag, L., Hernaez, R., Sisson, A., Thrift, A. P., Liu, Y., El-Serag, H. B., & Kanwal, F. (2021). Women Have a Lower Risk of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease but a Higher Risk of Progression vs Men: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology : the official clinical practice journal of the American Gastroenterological Association, 19(1), 61–71.e15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cgh.2020.04.067
- Cerqueira, O., Gill, M., Swar, B., Gill, M., Swar, B., Prentice, K. A., Gwin, S., & Beasley, B. W. (2021). The effectiveness of interruptive prescribing alerts in ambulatory CPOE to change prescriber behaviour & improve safety. BMJ Quality & Safety. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjqs-2020-012283
- Puzio, T. J., Murphy, P. B., Kregel, H. R., Ellis, R. C., Holder, T., Wandling, M. W., Wade, C. E., Kao, L. S., McNutt, M. K., & Harvin, J. A. (2021). Delayed Intracranial Hemorrhage after Blunt Head Trauma while on Direct Oral Anticoagulant: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Journal of the American College of Surgeons, S1072-7515(21)00167-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2021.02.016
- Huntley, B., Mulder, I. A., Di Mascio, D., Vintzileos, W. S., Vintzileos, A. M., Berghella, V., & Chauhan, S. P. (2021). Adverse Pregnancy Outcomes Among Individuals With and Without Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2): A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Obstetrics and Gynecology, 137(4), 585–596. https://doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0000000000004320
*Acknowledgement to Emma Silva.
- Reddy, S. T., Satani, N., Beauchamp, J., Selvaraj, S., Rajan, S. S., Rahbar, M. H., Tahanan, A., Kim, S., Holder, T., Jiang, X., Chen, L., Kamal, H., Indupuru, H., Wu, T. C., & Savitz, S. I. (2021). A Meta-Analysis of the Global Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Stroke Care & the Houston Experience. Annals of Clinical and Translational Neurology, 10.1002/acn3.51322. https://doi.org/10.1002/acn3.51322
- Desai, A., Gupta, R., Advani, S., Ouellette, L., Kuderer, N. M., Lyman, G. H., & Li, A. (2020). Mortality in Hospitalized Patients with Cancer and Coronavirus Disease 2019: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Cohort Studies. Cancer, 10.1002/cncr.33386. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.33386
- Ness, T. E., Agrawal, V., Bedard, K., Ouellette, L., Erickson, T. A., Hotez, P., & Weatherhead, J. E. (2020). Maternal Hookworm Infection and Its Effects on Maternal Health: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 103(5), 1958-1968. https://doi.org/10.4269/ajtmh.20-0503
- Yatsco, A. J., Champagne-Langabeer, T., Holder, T. F., Stotts, A. L., & Langabeer, J. R. (2020). Developing Interagency Collaboration to Address the Opioid Epidemic: A Scoping Review of Joint Criminal Justice and Healthcare Initiatives. The International Journal on Drug Policy, 83, 1028492. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugpo.2020.102849
- Cummings, E. L., Fassas, S. N., Sykes, K. J., Sisson, A., Chiu, A. G., & Fox, M. G. (2020). Positional Installation of Intranasal Corticosteroids in the Treatment of Chronic Rhinosinusitis: A Systematic Review of the Literature. Ear, Nose, & Throat Journal. https://doi.org/10.1177/0145561320961004
- Gandy, K. C., Castillo, H. A., Ouellette, L., Castillo, J., Lupo, P. J., Jacola, L. M., Rabin, K. R., Raghubar, K. P., & Gramatges, M. M. (2020). The Relationship Between Chronic Health Conditions and Cognitive Deficits in Children, Adolescents, and Young Adults with Down Syndrome: A Systematic Review. PloS One, 15(9), e0239040. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0239040
- Haygood, L., Wright, L., Dobbins, M., Burgard, D., Steelman, S., Lloyd, J., Prentice, K., & Duggar, D. Cultivating Member Engagement the Armadillo Way: A Practical Guide for Chapters and Caucuses, Immersion Session. Medical Library Association Annual Meeting. May 6, 2022.
- Romano, J. & Huynh, N. (2021, October 14). Where’s the fire? Resource Access Diagnostics at Your Library [paper presentation]. 2021 South Central Chapter virtual meeting.
- Sisson, A. & Ouellette, L. (2021, October 13). It’s Worse than You Think: Significant Search Function Unreliability in the Major Medical Databases [paper presentation]. 2021 South Central Chapter of the Medical Library Association Virtual Meeting.
- Holder, T.F. (2021, October 12). The Most Successful Predatory Publisher: OMICS in PubMed Central [paper presentation]. 2021 South Central Chapter of the Medical Library Association Virtual Meeting.
- Prentice, K. Leveraging Data and Statistics During Transitional Times. Invited Speaker. Resilience: Returning after the Pandemic. Council of Research and Academic Libraries (CORAL) Spring Meeting. June 17, 2021.
- Prentice, K. The Role of the Library in the Age of Online Education [Panel Presenter]. Henry Stewart Events, OnlineEd 2021: The Global Event for Online Learning and Teaching in Higher Education. May 20, 2021.
- Richardson, M. (2021 April). Designing Your “Memory Lab”: Lessons from DIY Personal Archive Digitization Labs. Texas Library Association 2021 Virtual Annual Conference
- Richardson, M. (2021 April). The Power to Empower: Sharing the Library Vision with Support Staff [panel speaker]. Texas Library Association 2021 Virtual Annual Conference
- Huynh, N. (2021, April 23). OpenAthens Implementation [panel speaker]. Texas Library Association 2021 Conference.
- Romano, J. & Huynh, N. (2021, March 10). Resolving Access Issues in Real-time: Creating a Custom Ticket System in LibWizard [short talk]. 2021 Electronic Resources & Libraries online conference.
- Prentice, K. (2021, Jan 28). Assessment Culture and the Launch of a Library Dashboard [invited guest speaker]. Oklahoma Council of Academic Library Directors (OCALD) monthly meeting.
- Prentice, K. A. (2020, October). Launching a Library Assessment Dashboard. South Central Chapter of the Medical Library Association Annual Virtual Meeting.
- Jasmin Legaspi completed the American Library Association’s six-week course, Fundamentals of Cataloging in June 2022. This course focused on AACR2 and RDA cataloging rules, and subject analysis using Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH) and other classification systems.
- Joanne Romano attended the NNLM class “What’s in a Data Story? Understanding the Basics of Data Storytelling” webinar in October 2020
- Nha Huynh completed Scrum Master training for IT project management, May 2021.
- Charles Njilefack completed Scrum Master training for IT project management, April 2021.
- Emma Silva completed the course “Bioinformatics and Biology Essentials for Librarians: Databases, Tools, and Clinical Applications” in December 2020. This is a 14-week self-paced course sponsored by the National Library of Medicine worth 30 hours of CE credit from the Medical Library Association.
- Travis Holder was accepted to the Texas Accelerated Library Leaders (TALL Texans) Development Institute. He graduated in December 2020.
- Beatriz Varman attended NNLM class “What’s in a Data Story? Understanding the Basics of Data Storytelling” webinar in October 2020.
- Beatriz Varman is 2022-2023 Chair Elect of the Public Services Caucus of the Medical Library Association.
- Katie Prentice is the 2022-2023 Chair-Elect of the Leadership & Management Caucus of the Medical Library Association.
- Emily Tuck is serving on the ELUNA (Ex Libris Users North America) 2022-2023 Steering Committee.
- Katie Prentice is the 2021-2022 Past President of the South Central Chapter of the Medical Library Association.
- Joanne Romano will serve a three-year team as medical library representative for the Texas State Library and Archives Commission Electronic Information Working Group, September 27, 2021
- Emily Tuck was accepted as an IRB member for TWU’s panel on human studies in diet and nutrition, July 2021.
- Travis Holder is serving on the Scholarship & Stipend Committee for the Texas Library Association’s College & University Libraries Division.
- Matt Richardson is serving as Registration Chair and a member of the Local Arrangements Committee for the Society of Southwest Archivists 2022 Annual Meeting in Houston.
- Travis Holder featured by Texas Library Association online (2021, April 8). Between the Lines: April Member Spotlight.
- Joanne Romano joined, by invitation, the Ovid Leaders Advisory Council, April 2021.
- Travis Holder served on the Programming Committee for the Texas Library Association (TLA) 2021 conference. Travis was also on the Programming Committee’s Contributed Papers subcommittee and was the liaison to the Special Libraries Division.
- Emma Silva is a member of MLA New Member Caucus, SCC/MLA Early Career Librarian Working Group and MLA Virtual Career Connection committees.
- Katie Prentice is the 2020-2021 President of the South Central Chapter of the Medical Library Association.
Major Library Projects
- Terrie Smalls-Hall and Jasmin Legaspi created and followed new procedures to catalog and prepare 12 board games and 100 books for the TMC Library humanities and health/wellness collection in the Dr. Fred Study Area, June-July 2021.
- Terrie Smalls-Hall and Jasmin Legaspi compiled updated cost per use reports including: Top 10 Most Expensive Journals, Top 10 Least Expensive Journals, and Cost per Use per Journals Package, showcasing library resource value. April 2021.
- Emily Tuck created Collection Highlights for the Library OneSearch discovery portal. Cover images and links to resource silos of ebooks and ejournals for 50 medical disciplines, enabling library users to easily browse for their specific fields of study within the TMC Library catalog. March 2021.
- Emma Silva and Travis Holder attended the UTHealth Salutation event. They created a video promoting library services that was presented at the event. October 2020.
- Emma Silva and Travis Holder started a project to assign NLM’s MeSH terms to the most popular biomedical informatics concepts for UTHealth School of Biomedical Informatics. (February 2020-present)
- Sandra Yates and Matt Richardson were awarded SCAMeL Speedy Startup funding for the project “Texas Medical Center Historical Audiovisual Resources Digitization” 2022.
- Yates, Sandra, Project Staff: Mentor, Web Resources Consultant; Audiovisual Care in Tribal Archives (2021-2021); National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH), Preservation Education and Training; Association of Moving Image Archivists (AMIA), Association of Tribal Archives, Libraries, and Museums (ATALM), Community Archiving Workshop (CAW).
- Yates, Sandra, Project Staff: Mentor; Web Resources Consultant; Community Archiving Workshop – A Regional Training of Trainers: Southwest (2021); Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), Laura Bush 21st Century Librarians Program (Supplemental Funding); AMIA, CAW.
- Yates, Sandra, Project Staff: Web Resources Consultant manages the web development for CAW Toolkit and CAW Handbook websites; Community Archiving Workshop – A Regional Training of Trainers (2018-2021); IMLS, Laura Bush 21st Century Librarians Program; AMIA, CAW.
- Amy Sisson and Lara Ouellette. First Place Contributed Paper, SCC/MLA Elizabeth K. Eaton Research Award for “It’s Worse than You Think: Significant Search Function Unreliability in the Major Medical Databases.” October 2021.